Ad Trafficking 101
- What is ad operations?
- That's us. Our department is called Ad Operations.
- What do you do?
- We traffic ads.
- How are ads traffic'd?
- We submit advertisements (and other materials required) for the campaign to the publishers -via an ad server.
- What's an "ad tag"?
- When we traffic ads, we send "ad tags" to the publishers.
What's a typical day like in ad operations?
We traffic campaigns, meaning: we send creative tags to the websites (via an ad server). The websites use these tags to publish the ads. The ad ops team uses these tags to track impressions, monitor post-click activities, etc. We also troubleshoot everything we traffic. We make sure everything is running.
What do you need to traffic a campaign?
- Campaign name
- Campaign dates
- Blocking chart, with ad-serving fees calculated
- MPA (or IO, or a contract that authorizes this campaign to run and the campaign's advertising costs are approved)
- Creatives *
- Are these creatives running during the entire campaign, or will we need to make revisions later?
- Landing page
- Are there unique URLs?
- Publisher contacts
* if there are English creatives and French creatives, you will need to create two campaigns on the ad server (one for English, one for French).
This campaign is really urgent, we haven't received MPA, creatives, approval yet.
Please send us everything above (as much as possible), especially the blocking chart. And make sure:
- The campaign is pushed to the ad server.
- The campaign is correctly pushed to the ad server.
- That the campaign in the ad server matches the publishers' IOs.
Is this an ad ops issue?
|Yes, very likely *||No.|
|The creative is clicking through to the wrong landing page.||The landing page is down. (Ask the creative agency)||More info|
|The tag is running the wrong creative (depends).||The tag is running on the wrong website. (Ask the publisher)||More info|
|We have new creatives to add into rotation.||The creative has a typo. (Ask the creative agency)||More info|
|This creative is to run 80/20 rotation with another creative, in the same ad tag.||Allocate 80% budget/impressions/spend for this creative/channel/etc. and 20% elsewhere. (Work this out with publisher)||More info|
|Please pause Version 1 of the creatives, and allow the other creatives to continue running in the tag||Pause this entire campaign/tag. (Publisher will need to pause)||More info|
* unless the creatives are site-served.
Landing page issues
If the landing page is down, ad ops cannot fix this. You should:
- Alert the people who sent you the landing page.
- Find out if it is live yet, if it will be live later?
- Is there a typo in the landing page?
Wrong creatives / wrong tag / wrong website
Reasons for wrong creatives:
- Wrong creatives were given to ad ops.
- Wrong creatives were given to the publishers.
- The wrong tag is running.
Reasons for wrong tags:
- Tags do not match the blocking chart, traffic sheet, or IO.
- The placements in the ad server do not match the IO.
If the creatives are NOT site-served, the ad ops team can troubleshoot. A test page helps.
New / Revised Creatives
If these creatives are running in the ad tags, we can update the tags to run new creatives (the creative agency must provide this). No new tags needed. However we cannot edit the creatives themselves. We can only update tags. We don't have the tools to edit the creatives, the creative agency has the tools to do so.
Creative Rotation vs. Budget / Impression Allocation
If your plan needs the publisher to control the rotation, for example: the publisher will allocate 80% of total impressions to Rich Media buy and 20% of impressions to Standard Flash buy. Here are the tags they will need:
- 300x250 tag - rich media
- 300x250 tag - standard flash
But if publisher doesn't need to control this allocation, they will need instead:
- 300x250 tag (just one)
Pause a creative / campaign
If in the ad tag, there are two creatives running. We can pause one. The tag will continue to run.
But if the entire tag or campaign needs to be paused, the publishers should pause on their end. The tag/campaign will no longer run.